No more than six internship credits may count toward the minimum number of credits required in a major. No more than twelve credits in academic internship experiences may be counted toward the credits required for graduation. Internship credit is based on the work assignment, time commitment and academic component. The time commitment alone does not determine the number of credit hours awarded. Each credit hour of internship requires at least 3 hours of work at the internship site per week as outlined on the following chart:
|Credit Hours||On-Site Hours|
To be approved for academic credit, the internship experience must be:
- approved in advance by the department awarding credit, and
- evaluated by a University of Mary Washington faculty member.
An internship contract following the requirements outlined on the Internship Policies web page must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar before a student is enrolled for internship credit.
To be eligible for internship credit, the student must:
- be a degree-seeking student at UMW,
- have at least 12 hours of credit earned at UMW or a completed Associates Degree, and
- have a cumulative G.P.A. of 2.0 or better at the start of the semester in which the internship occurs.
In certain circumstances, internships may be done at an administrative office on campus. In all cases, internship sites and the site supervisor must be approved by the faculty member evaluating the internship and shall not also serve simultaneously as the site supervisor. Students may receive academic credit for a paid internship.
Additional details are provided at the Internship Policies web page.