Academic Catalog

Admission and Enrollment

The University of Mary Washington offers a number of different enrollment options. Each is designed to meet the needs of a particular student population. All of the University’s degree programs may be pursued on either a full-time or part-time basis.

The University’s College of Arts and Sciences offers undergraduate degree programs and course work in the liberal arts and sciences. Most students pursue the traditional Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) or Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree programs. A first time, first year B.A./B.S. student is eligible to declare a major by submitting the Major/Minor Declaration Form to the chair of the chosen department at the end of their first year or upon the completion of 28 credits. Students are expected to have declared their major at the end of their second year. Students interested in programs offered by the College of Business or the College of Education enroll initially as undeclared students and then later apply for admission to either a Business or Education program. See the specific sections in this Catalog under College of Business or College of Education for further details.

The Bachelor of Liberal Studies (BLS) program offers a flexible degree option specifically designed to meet the needs of adult students who have substantial college experience and want to complete a bachelor’s degree in the liberal arts or sciences. 

The Bachelor of Science in Nursing completion program (BSN) permits registered nurses to complete a baccalaureate degree in nursing. Students transfer credits from a community college or hospital nursing program and are enrolled in the BSN Completion program upon admission to the university.

Non-degree-seeking students are those who do not necessarily wish to earn a degree from the University of Mary Washington but who enroll in limited course work to satisfy particular needs or for general interest. The non-degree enrollment process is simpler than for degree programs. Individuals may enroll on a space-available basis as non-degree students for the regular session or the summer term. Non-degree students register at the Office of the Registrar by following the instructions for non-degree students

Anyone considering applying to the University should consult the most recent publications of the particular program or contact the Office of Admissions for more information.