Academic Catalog

Additional Requirements for International Students

In addition to the documents required for the admission process for each degree program, applicants who are non-US citizens or permanent residents must submit original academic records and, if those records are not in English, certified copies of the records translated into English. If the student has been educated in a non-English speaking country, all transcripts and documents must be submitted via an approved independent credentials evaluation service. If English is not the applicant’s native language, the University of Mary Washington requires the applicant to demonstrate English competency, normally by submitting results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or by completing levels 11 and 12 of the intensive English Program offered by ILA (International Language Academy of Washington, DC) or by completing an approved ESL program.

Visa Information

Non-U.S. citizens who are not permanent residents may need to obtain a student visa. To obtain a visa, a student must be accepted for admission, pay the deposit, and submit an Affidavit of Support. Once the Affidavit of Support is accepted by the University, the student will work directly with UMW's Center for International Education in order to request and be issued the I-20 Form (Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant) to present to the U.S. consul or embassy in the country where the student will be issued an F-1 Visa to study in the United States.