Academic Catalog

Academic Rules and Regulations


Academic performance is rated according to the following system:

Grade Quality Points
A 4.00
A- 3.70
B+ 3.30
B 3.00
B- 2.70
C+ 2.30
C 2.00
C- 1.70
D+ 1.30
D 1.00
F 0.00

The following grades carry 0.00 quality points: W (Course Withdrawal), I (Incomplete), G (Delayed Grade), and TR (Transfer Credit). Note: The MBA program does not use C-, D+, or D to evaluate student academic performance.

Incomplete Grade

Incomplete grades are issued on a case-by-case basis when students cannot complete the assigned work or final examination for a particular course due to unforeseen circumstances, e.g., illness, natural disaster, or family catastrophe. A grade of I is issued in lieu of an actual grade for the course. To secure permission for an incomplete grade, the student and faculty member must file an Incomplete Grade Contract clearly stating the reason for the incomplete, the work to be completed, and the due date. Supporting documentation may be required. The Incomplete Grade Contract must be approved by the faculty member and filed with the Office of the Registrar. If appropriate, students must drop any subsequent course for which the incomplete course is a prerequisite. Students must complete the course work by the end of the following semester or summer session, whether enrolled in University course work or not, or by the specified contract date. A grade of F will be applied automatically to the course after the completion deadline has passed if the student fails to complete the work or the faculty member submits no other grade.

Students who are in military service (active duty, reserves, or National Guard) may request an incomplete grade for military deployment, mobilizations, or duty changes occurring in the final three (3) weeks of the course. A copy of the military orders must be provided to the Office of Academic Services as documentation. The deadline for removing an incomplete given on the basis of military service is last day of the semester following the one in which the incomplete was given. Every effort will be made to work with the student and the faculty member to facilitate completion of the incomplete. Should military service commitments prevent the student from fulfilling the requirements for removal of the incomplete, a grade of W will replace the incomplete.

As soon as the emergency is over, the student should attempt to make up the Incomplete by working directly with the instructor. If the course instructor is not employed during the semester in which the work is to be completed, then the associate dean or department chair will oversee the course work and assign the final grade.  If the work for the course cannot be completed in this way, the Office of Academic Services will, by appointment, administer examinations and/or receive student papers so that the work can be completed as expeditiously as possible. Within two weeks after receiving the work or by the last day of classes for the semester, the instructor (or chair if the instructor is unavailable) must submit a grade change request and assign a permanent grade for the student’s performance in the course. If these conditions are not met, the grade will be changed to an F.


Final examinations and other culminating assignments are scheduled at the end of each course regardless of the course length. Students who fail to take a required final examination or who fail to submit a final culminating assignment have not completed the course requirements and, therefore, fail the course. In accordance with Honor Council procedures, a student is required to pledge to disclose neither the contents nor the form of any examination until after the conclusion of the examination period.

Illness or Emergencies During the Examination Period

Any illness or emergency that prevents a student from taking a scheduled final examination should be reported to the Office of Academic Services prior to the examination. The student should provide his/her name, the title of the course, name of the instructor, and time of the examination. The Office of Academic Services will notify the instructor, and it is then the student’s responsibility to contact the instructor to arrange a make-up examination. If a make-up exam cannot be arranged prior to the grade submission deadline, the student must notify the Office of Academic Services.


Class attendance is a primary responsibility of students, and regular and punctual class attendance is expected. While an occasional absence may be unavoidable, the student is responsible and accountable for any work missed, including tests, quizzes, assignments, and announcements made in any missed classes. It is entirely at the discretion of the faculty whether to allow students who are absent to make up any missed work. Class participation may in itself be a criterion for grading; failure to participate due to being absent can be expected to affect a student’s grade in the course.

Religious Observances

Requests by students whose religious observance precludes class participation on specific days to reschedule graded work will be honored.  Graded work includes final examinations, scheduled tests, graded written assignments, graded laboratory projects, and graded oral assignments. Alternative dates will be set by consulting with the instructor or instructors and, if necessary, through consultation with the Office of Academic Services. It is the student’s responsibility to make alternative arrangements as early as possible.

Jury Duty

UMW students may be summoned to serve as trial jurors.  Jury duty is a legal obligation and those who fail to respond to a summons are subject to criminal prosecution. The University supports jury service as an important civic duty and community responsibility.  Students who will need to miss class in order to fulfill their jury service obligation should promptly notify all instructors, provide a copy of the summons as documentation of the absence (if requested by the instructor), and make arrangements to complete any missed work. Absences from class because of jury duty service will not be penalized. Students should contact the office of Academic Services if they have any questions or if they need assistance in making arrangements for missed class time due to jury duty service.

Military Leave

UMW recognizes and appreciates the important contributions made in service to our country by Active Duty, Reserve, and National Guard members. Requests to reschedule graded work due to short term military absence will be honored. Short term military absence will be recognized either as a result of regularly scheduled drill/training, unexpected training/drill or short term activation/deployment (e.g., National Guard activation in response to a natural disaster or civil unrest). Details on the procedure for Military Service absence can be found in the Directory of Academic Procedures.

Students who are in military service (active duty, reserves, or National Guard) and will be unable to complete the courses in which they are enrolled because of a military deployment, mobilization, or change in duty assignment may withdraw from all courses as of the effective date on their military orders. Students should contact the Office of the Registrar in order to process the course withdrawals, and a copy of the military orders must be provided as documentation. Graduate students withdrawing in this manner will receive a full refund of all tuition and fees (and pro-rated refunds for dining or housing contracts if applicable). Textbooks purchased from the UMW Bookstore may be returned for credit in accordance with the UMW textbook return policy. For withdrawals occurring beyond return policy end date, students should bring books to the Bookstore for the best available buyback prices.

Grade Change

Instructors may submit grade changes for students who have submitted work after completing the course requirements, for a miscalculation resulting in an inappropriate grade, or to correct an error. Instructors may submit changes only during the term immediately following the term during which the grade was assigned.

Grade Type Change

Instructors may submit grade changes for the removal of a G grade (grade delayed), for a miscalculation resulting in an inappropriate grade, or to correct an error. Instructors may submit changes only during the term immediately following the term during which the grade was assigned. Grades will not be changed after a degree has been conferred or a certificate has been awarded.


The transcript is the student’s official academic record and is maintained by the Office of the Registrar. Transcripts list: (1) only those courses that students have registered for and completed, including courses from which the student has withdrawn; (2) transferred course work; and (3) related comments such as honors notations, graduation dates, or probation/suspension notices. Students may request transcripts of their academic records from the Office of the Registrar’s web page. Official transcripts may not be released for students who have financial obligations to the University.

Non-Degree Status

Students who enroll in courses but have not been accepted into any degree or certificate program are defined as non-degree students. The same academic rules, regulations, and procedures that govern degree students also govern non-degree students. Depending on the program, credits earned by a non-degree student may be applied toward a degree program if the courses qualify as degree requirements or electives. Enrollment in specific courses is based on eligibility criteria and availability of space in courses; in certain courses or programs, enrollment may be restricted or prohibited.

Re-enrollment, Readmission, and Leave of Absence Policies

All degree-seeking students in good academic standing who enroll each semester, without interruption, are considered continuing students. Students maintain re-enrollment status by completing advance registration each semester.

Graduate degree students who do not enroll for three consecutive semesters, excluding summers, must apply for readmission through the Office of Admissions. Students who are readmitted are subject to the degree requirements in effect at the time of readmission.

Degree students who interrupt their program of study, either by withdrawing during a semester or summer session or by not enrolling at the University for a semester or summer session, but who wish to return after a given period of time away, must request an official Leave of Absence prior to the beginning of the first semester or summer session of absence or at the time of withdrawal by contacting the Office of the Registrar. Degree students who do not attend classes at the University, and for a specific period of time attend courses at another institution, also must request a Leave of Absence to remain on active status in their degree program.

A graduate degree student on Leave of Absence who re-enrolls within one semester or summer session after the approved Leave of Absence will be permitted to complete the degree program and satisfy the requirements in effect when the student began.

Graduate students who do not request a Leave of Absence and do not return within three consecutive semesters will be required to comply with any changes in academic regulations and degree requirements made during their absence. Additionally, those graduate students not on an Official Leave of Absence may be subject to review by the appropriate graduate program Committee and may have additional requirements set for re-enrollment.

Reinstatement of Students Returning from Military Service

Students who withdrew from the University as a result of military deployment, mobilizations, or duty changes are entitled to return without having to re-qualify for admission so long as the student (a) returns after a cumulative absence of no more than five years, and (b) notifies the Office of Admissions of the intent to return to the University not later than three (3) years after the completion of the military service obligation. The student must provide the Office of Admissions with a copy of the military orders to substantiate the end of duty date.